The original inhabitants of the area were the Ngarrindjeri people, the traditional owners of the lower Murray River, eastern Fleurieu Peninsula and the Coorong. We acknowledge the Ngarrindjeri people as the traditional custodians of the lands and waters of Middleton. We respect their rights, interests and obligations to speak and care for their traditional lands and waters in accordance with their laws, customs, beliefs and traditions.
In 1846 Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Walker bestowed the name ‘MIDDLETOWN’ on our town after associations in Ireland. Then in 1849 Thomas Walker Higgins bought an 80 acre section of land, after a canal, then a railway were proposed to link Goolwa and Freeman’s Knob (Port Elliot). This land speculation paid off when he subdivided the land for town blocks in 1856 and changed the name to Middleton.
On the corner of Thomas Street and Main Road, ‘Fortuna’ is a two storied, sixteen-roomed Georgian style house built by Thomas Ellis in 1864. Built of limestone with brick quoins, it was formerly known as ‘Seaview,’ ‘Pacific House’ and ‘Waiaroa.’
Mindacowie House was built in 1899 as a Temperance Hotel by John Abbott of Glenford Farm. He built it for his sisters Jessie and Ruth, and they ran it for several decades.
The large three-storey flour mill is next to the railway siding. What was milled here then shipped as flour up the Murray River from Goolwa to the Darling River, then to the goldfields of Bendigo via Echuca.